I spent some time today going through writing from the autumn Writing Circles. We are compiling an anthology with contributions from each writer. As I thought about each piece, I tried putting it in the larger context of the collected body of work we’ll soon share. Would the poetry balance well with the stories and the personal essays? Would the voices of different writers standing next to one another create a harmony richer than the solo strains of the pieces alone? How might I best present this work?
More than just collecting a writing sample from everyone, I felt I was trying to curate a sense of our time together. I wrote each participant a short email with suggestions or questions about their work, looking for one more way to connect before we all move on with a new year and new writing groups. My hope is that the combination of all those voices and styles will reflect the depth and breadth of the space we created in our Writing Circles last autumn.
The anthology will be ready in about a week! I’m so looking forward to sharing it here. Please come back and see what we wrote.
A few updates:
- The next Writing Circle, Spilling the Ink, starts on 6 Feb at Harston Village Hall. Note: this is one week later than originally planned.
- We will meet for 7 weeks on Friday mornings from 10.00 – 12.00, from 6 Feb – 27 Mar, except 20 Feb.
- The course is filling, but a few spaces remain. Tomorrow (9 Jan) is the last day to register at the discounted rate of £87.50. After tomorrow, the fee is £105. However, if you register with a friend/writing buddy, I’ll discount both your fees by £15 (fee will be £90 for each).
- The Melbourne programme, on Thursday mornings, has been postponed.
- After the Harston programme, the next Writing Circle will be in June or September 2015. This is the last one until summer - why not sign up and make 2015 the year you started to write?
Want to join us and let your creative cats out of the bag this winter? Register here.